Sunday, June 15, 2008

So much to offer....

So another week has passed and I can't believe it! You can always determine a good job or activity by how fast the time flies and this internship is zooming by. This week has been great. I got the opportunity to join the crew that goes to the Mirage everyday. MGM/Mirage company owns marjority of the strip so working at Bellagio Floriculture we not only take care of the Bellagio flowers but the Mirage and Treasure Island flowers as well. It has been a pleasure to see the Mirage and enjoy the company of the people that take care of it :) The main lady that I tagged along with is great. Her name is Kim and she really pushes my creativity and I love it. She challenges me with different designs and never doubts my abilities. Since I started there I have done everything from small simple designs to large inticate ones :) Here are a fews pics...


I have learned through working with Kim that in many cases the vase can make the arrangement. In this case it is simple white dendrobium orchids and curly willow but between the vase and the flowers it is beautiful :)

This is what Kim calls a dry enviorment...simply meaning what is sounds like. There is no water. The statment "you learn something new everyday" definitely applies to my internship. I learned that Callas can survive without water for up to a week and sometimes longer. In this arrangement we simply wired the callas to the pussy willow to make cool lines :)

This in one of the few designs that I was given a vase and told to do whatever I felt like...and I love it. I feel like watching some of the experienced designers I work with has taught me so much already and definitely inspired me a lot....and again how fun is that vase?

With Kim it is always an adventure! I love her because she isn't afraid of anything. She doesn't let vases, size or flowers intimidate her and she isn't afraid of letting her creativity run wild. Even when it doesn't turn out the way you expect it to it can certainly be a pleasant and interesting surprise :)

Designing with Kim is a pleasure. This is one of the tables that greets the VIP guests as they walk through the Villa hallways to their rooms. The two smaller designs are mine. I have learned that not only to vases make an arrangment but a simple design can but just as stunning as an intricate one.

Hydrangea and dendrobium orchids...simple and yet beautiful :)

There is Kim in all her glory...she has so much to offer :)

This is one of the first things that Kim challenged me with. And it was a challenge for sure. But she had faith in me and look what I came up with. This is in the womens spa at the Mirage for all the guests to enjoy.

This was my second challenge and a much smaller one at that. Callas have become one of my favorite flowers to design with because they will do whatever you tell them to do.

My contribution to Villa 2 table. Don't you love the vases character?

Well I think that is a pretty good over view of the week. I feel like I have grown leaps and bounds this week and I can't wait for the next. For those of you who love doing creative things whether it be floral design, photography, painting etc...don't be afraid of what you can do and where your creativity can take you. Simply let go and see where you end up...who knows it may be your best work ever :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am in awe! I love all your designs, I think the pink calas in the triangle vase is my fav. Everything is so pretty! How often do you guys have to change out the flowers? There must be tons of people that work there to have so many arrangments and so many hotels. How fun!

Landon and Dana said...

wowwycazzowy! you are doing such a fantasitc job! Grandma is sitting here with me and thinks that you are so talented. Way to go sis! how fun

Jensen's said...

Beautiful Honey! What a neat experience to get to "Play" with all those wonderful flowers. You are going to find Rexburg and carnations awfully boring after this summer!
I love you,
Mom